Tuesday 24 October 2023

Farewell to an old friend

Much though I'd come to love my central heating boiler, I knew that anyone in a mind to consider buying my house would not have similar feelings. Though it was still working, after last year's heavy surgery, it was time for a new.

My theory, that the fundamental problem with the old device was a leak between the in and out, concentric, tubes of the flu was starkly confirmed when the central pipe was revealed to have holes I could almost fit my hand through. No doubt these were contributing to the excess of moisture arriving at the top of the casing, and also to a certain drop in efficiency, and probably somewhat to a lack of safety in operation.

The new boiler, a Worchester, makes strange noises. It's interesting to see the evolution of design and manufacture from the old, early, Glowworm Energy Saver. That inner flu is now plastic, and the whole water jacket is inverted, with the ignition at the top - the fan now controlling the flame entirely rather than simply pumping the flue gas.

Warm I may be, but my feelings for this efficient new model will never equal the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment